The Auxiliary to the Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War (SUVCW) is a fraternal organization dedicated to preserving the history and legacy of heroes who fought and worked to save the Union 1861-1865. The SUVCW was organized in 1881 and chartered by Congress in 1954, as the legal successor to the Grand Army of the Republic.
The need for an Auxiliary was recognized immediately and through the efforts of Major A. P. Davis, the first Ladies Aid Society was organized at Philadelphia in 1883, and in the following year was officially recognized as their Auxiliary. Ladies Aid Societies were formed in several States in rapid succession and in 1886 plans for a National Organization were formed, with the first National Encampment being held in Akron, Ohio, in September 1887. At the National Encampment at Boston, Massachusetts in 1894, the name was changed to the Sons of Union Veterans Auxiliary, with it eventually becoming known as the Auxiliary to Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War.
Our members work alongside the SUVCW during special events, ceremonies, and presentations.
Sister Anthony O’Connell Auxiliary No. 10 was founded in 2013 and is the official Auxiliary to the General William H Lytle Camp #10 in Cincinnati and the Major William T Sherman Camp #93 in Dayton, Ohio, Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War (SUVCW). It is one of six auxiliaries comprising the Department of Ohio.
We take part in annual Memorial Day celebrations and various living history and educational and patriotic events throughout the year. We seek to educate and keep alive the memories of our ancestors – the “Boys in Blue”.
Our patriotic service is focused on veterans primarily through our “Sisters Supporting Women Veterans” project.
We are available to speak and teach when requested.
“Their blood runs in our veins. We cannot, we will not forget”
“Through this organization, the declining days of the Union Veteran will be made pleasant, his record of service to his country preserved, his memory honored, patriotism promoted. ~Major Augustus P. Davis, December 1881”